How Are Damages Paid for in a Single Vehicle Accident?

In a typical car accident case, an injured person can file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company in order to recover damages. Georgia is a fault-based negligence state, so these types of claims are required to receive compensation after a car accident.

However, recovering compensation may not be so simple if there is no other driver to file a claim with, as is the case in instances of single vehicle accidents — for example, if a person drives into a light pole. These types of accidents can be just as damaging as collisions involving two or more vehicles, and injury victims are often left wondering how they can pay for their medical bills and other damages if they cannot file a claim with another driver’s insurance company. It is possible that your own insurance provider will cover the damages caused by a single vehicle accident, or you may be able to file a third-party liability claim.

Insurance Coverage

You may be able to turn to your own insurance company if you are injured in a single vehicle accident, but only if your plan accounts for personal bodily injury and property damage coverage. The minimum level of car insurance coverage in Georgia only includes liability coverage, so covering a single vehicle accident may require the purchase of additional policy options. Health insurance may also be an option for covering your medical bills, but this will depend on the terms of your health insurance policy and leaves you with no way to cover property damage.

Third-Party Liability

Although single vehicle accidents only involve one driver, it is still possible that another party could be liable for your damages. Single vehicle accidents can be caused by issues such as road conditions, construction work, or defective vehicle parts. In these cases, injury victims can file a claim against the responsible parties — such as a repair company or vehicle manufacturer — to recover compensation for their damages. If a third party is responsible for your single vehicle accident, you may be able to file a lawsuit.

At Busch, Reed, Jones & Leeper, P.C., our lawyers are dedicated to helping the victims of car accidents recover the compensation they deserve. We are available to assist you with your case.

To schedule a consultation with our attorneys, complete our contact form or call (770) 629-0154.